A heat pump system for cooling your Bangtao or home or business on Phuket is a powerful alternative to reduce energy consumption, and besides the massive issues Phuket and Thailand has with declining wildlife populations due to deforestation, soil erosion, water scarcity, pollution and general waste issues, along with solar panels and home wind turbines, a heat pump will contribute to making Phuket and Thailand a better place.
How heat pumps cool your Bnagtao / Phuket house, Villa, apartment or even Hotel?
A heat pump is a intensive utilization for cooling or heating water may reduce emissions of CO2, and other toxic gases, by replacing fossil fuel boilers and air-conditioning units on Phuket, Thailand and Asia.
A heat pump uses evaporator and condenser coils. The coils are connected between the indoor and the outdoor units, and they have refrigerant that flows through them. The refrigerant is cold when it’s in the indoor coils. As air gets pulled into your system and passes over those coils, the air cools down and the refrigerant heats up. The heat pump then pushes the cool air into your home’s duct system, cooling your home.
Heat pumps work just like regular air conditioners. What this means is they use a refrigerant to absorb heat from the air inside your home and transport it outside. It works like this:
- Refrigerant enters the compressor (outdoor unit) of your heat pump system as a hot low-pressure gas and is compressed into a high-pressure gas.
- ow a hot high-pressure gas, the refrigerant enters the condenser where it is condensed into a liquid. During the condensation process, the liquid refrigerant gives up its heat, which is radiated to the outside air.
- ow a cold, pressurized liquid, the refrigerant moves into the expansion valve, which restricts the flow of the liquid. Upon exiting the expansion valve, the pressure lets up.
- The cold, low-pressure liquid now moves into the evaporator, where it absorbs heat from air blown over the evaporator coils and turns into a gas.
- Now a hot low-pressure gas once again, the cycle starts over. The cycle repeats until the temperature of the air in your home matches that set by the thermostat.
Types of Heat Pump on Phuket
Heat pumps are broadly divided into two major types. They are:
Air Source Heat Pump
This kind of heat pump expels the hot air from the inside to the outside in summer.
Geothermal Heat Pump
This type of heat pump utilizes and expels the heat from the inside air to the soil or water in the hot weather.
Considering the design of the heat pumps, they are divided into two types. Those are as follows:
This type of heat pump consists of two different indoor and outdoor units.
Such heat pumps contain all the components of the system combined within one single cabinet.
Heat Pump components used
The heat pump constitutes a good number of components. Each is required for different functions. The components that more or less all heat pumps possess along with their functions are as follows:
Compressor: Transports refrigerant which is a compound responsible for heat exchange converting liquid to gas and absorbing the heat from the environment to transfer it somewhere else.
Coils: Condenser and evaporator coil for heating and cooling the air.
Reversing Valve: Changes the refrigerant flow.
Thermostatic Expansion Valves: Regulate the refrigerant flow.
Accumulator: To adjust with the season and the weather.
Air Ducts: To allow the hot or cold air released from the heat pump to flow throughout the house.
Refrigerant Lines: This component is applicable only for split-type heat pumps to connect the components from the inside to the outside.
Heat Strips: This generally comes with the packaged unit for providing extra heat on cooler days.
How does a Heat Pump Cool?
Heat pump water heaters help cool a home as they extract heat from the air to generate hot water. A heat pump water heater converts heat in the air into hot water, and the result is that it expels cool air.
Are heat pumps Carbon Neutral?
Heat pumps rely on electricity to operate, implying that it is difficult for them to be entirely carbon neutral. However, heat pumps in general have a high Coefficient of Performance (COP), which means they’re more efficient as the outside air gets warmer to cool the inside.
Along with the COP, if the electricity is generated by renewables, such as solar panels, wind or hydro power, then the heat pump is 100% renewable and CO2-neutral.
By combining heat pumps with solar panels, you can make your home self sufficient and eco-friendly. Properly designed and installed heat pumps can be worth it, by regularly attaining more than 300 per cent efficiency, which is great for the environment and your pocket in the long run.
Can heat pumps heat tap, shower and bath water on Phuket?
The heat pump should heat your hot water tank to around 35-40°C, and hot enough for any type of showering, washing dishes, washing cloths etc in your on Phuket home, business or small Hotel. However this is not hot enough to kill any bacteria within the tank. Therefore the tank should be timed to heat up to 60°C once a week – you will notice a corresponding spike in your electricity usage.
Advantages of a Heat Pump
There are several advantages to having a heat pump. Some of the most mentionable are listed below.
- Reducing the need to access natural gas or keeping a propane tank.
- The home duct system of the heat pump ensures cool air is distributed equally to every corner of the home or business without leaving any spaces warm.
- As heat pumps don’t consume fossil fuels, they are more environmentally friendly.
- The biggest advantage of a heat pump is providing two separate services which are heating the water and cooling your Phuket home, saving money for any other device or their maintenance.
- If the electricity is generated by renewables (Solar panels (PV), wind, hydro), then the heat pump is 100% renewable and CO2-neutral.
So what are you waiting for?
Yes, heat pumps, and other Eco-friendly heating and cooling systems at first are a little expensive to install, but the good news is that if you think outside the box, and see a little in the future, by adding a heat pump and solar panels to you Villa, House, Apartment (Penthouse), Restaurant and even Hotel you will 100% put money back in your pocket in the long run. It goes without saying that you will be also playing a small part in letting a few more generations enjoy mother Earth.
Back to: Eco Friendly Bangtao